[proaudio] Hello and: do I need the alsa USE-flag?

Hello everybody,

To introduce myself: I'm a student from Austria (no, not Australia ;) who likes Gentoo and does a bit of home-recording :) I want to get a bit more serious and therefore I currently re-set up my 'studio'. (If you can call it one.) This first problem (although it isn't really one but I think it's worth a question) I ran into is this:

Is USE="alsa" really needed? Shouldn't it be enough to compile JACK with alsa-support and have a global USE="jack" in make.conf and thus, having the entire system forced into JACK-or-death?

Regards,
Philipp