[proaudio] Re: [proaudio] Re: [proaudio] Re: [proaudio] Muse and Zynaddsubfx takes a long time to show the gui .

On 9/29/06, Carlos Pino <pinojazz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Frieder Bürzele escribió:
> Carlos Pino wrote:
>>  Hi everyone, this is my first post here after installing  gentoo and
>> the pro-audio overlay.
>> I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this great system.
>>
>>  Everything was working fine with 2.6.17-rt8 .Yesterday I did some
>> updates and today I give a try to the new 2.6.18-rt3. After the
>> compilation I went to check it and muse  starts  but can't see the
>> gui. Back to 2.6.17-rt8 and the issue continues  . It appears at the
>> qjackctl's Connect tab but nothing appears at the wm.

Hi Carlos,
  Sorry to hear of your continued problems. I don't know exactly how
I can help but I've been running Gentoo audio machines for 3-4 years
now so maybe at least we can get lucky together.

  First, I've had problems with 2.6.18-rtX on my AMD64 machine.
Others on the LKML are having troubles also. I would strongly suggest
that for now you stick with 2.6.17-rtX. I personally run 2.6.17-rt5.
rt8 is probably fine. Please ensure your /usr/src/linux link is
pointing at the correct kernel since it can mess up certain emerges if
it is not:

lightning ~ # ls -al /usr/src/linux
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Sep 25 17:51 /usr/src/linux ->
/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-rt5
lightning ~ #

  In my experience with problems like you are having I've been burned
by two things - the video driver and networking.

1) What video driver are you running? Open Source or one of the binary
drivers from NVidia or ATI?

2) Can you double check your /etc/resolve file. I've seen Gnome delay
(not by 5 minutes though - more like 30-45 seconds) the display of
certain programs when it cannot find a name server. Make sure that
your nameserver is really valid and operating quickly.

lightning ~ # cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.1
domain homenetwork
lightning ~ #

3) Let's look at the emerge consistency. Log in as root, if you aren't
already, and do the following:

a) cd /root
b) rm -rf .revdep-rebuild.*
c) revdep-rebuild -p

and let's see what linking problems might be lurking around.

4) Post back the output of emerge --info and we can look at flag settings, etc.

5) Let's see if X11 is complaining about anything:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW

  I expect we can get to the bottom of this if we keep poking about.

Cheers,
Mark