Re: [proaudio] trouble emerging museseq

First of all, thanks for a very detailed and informative reply.

On Thursday 18 May 2006 02:44 Dominique Michel was like:
> RT-kernel are very sensitive to bad hardware configuration. IRQ can be
> a big source of problem. You must be sure at you don't share some IRQ.
> # cat /proc/interrupts

>The most important is the sound and video.

Here are my interrupts at the moment (the 2 cpus are actually a single
hyperthreaded P4):

          CPU0       CPU1
  0:     111983          0    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:        779          0    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  8:          2          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
  9:          1          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi
 12:      19742          0    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
 14:      18008          0    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:        622          0    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
 16:      24166          0   IO-APIC-level  SysKonnect SK-98xx, ohci1394
 17:          0          0   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd:usb4
 18:         81          0   IO-APIC-level  ehci_hcd:usb1
 19:      26052          0   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb5, \
fglrx
 20:          0          0   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd:usb3
 21:          0          0   IO-APIC-level  EMU10K1
 22:          0          0   IO-APIC-level  Intel ICH5
NMI:          0          0
LOC:     111921     111899
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

Obviously interrupt 19 is problematic because of the video driver (and it
might explain some other odd behaviour as well). Should I be worried about
any of the other interrupts?

And is changing them simply a matter of cmos settings, or do I need to do
something in Linux?

> But in your case, I think at 512 MB RAM is too little to do serious audio
> work. It is what was in my box, and I added 1GB and many problems as
> intermitant noises was gone. I recommand for an audio workstation to have
> the same hardware as a graphic station, high tech motherboard, huge ram
> memory, but with simpler graphic card (less noise footprint), better sound
> card (it is what we want) and better hdd system (a must for multitrack
> recording).

I too have 512MB ram, but I rarely see swap usage go above zero in Gnome
System Monitor. Do you still think that RAM would be an issue for me too?

> You must be sure at jack is using tmpfs (USE jack-tmpfs). Check in fstab at
> you have: none    /dev/shm                tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec     0
> 0 Otherwise, jackd will use the hdd to do its work, and it can be a hudge
> amount of data. tmpfs will use RAM  but the amount of data will remain the
> same, it will work faster and with less noise.

Mine reads:
none   /dev/shm tmpfs  defaults  0 0
Do I need to explicitly state nodev,nosuid,noexec?

All the best
Robert
--
Robert Persson
ireneshusband@xxxxxxxxxxx

Conspiracy Bears:
Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...