Re: [proaudio] emerge rt-sources && ln -s linux -> rt-sources

On 5/26/06, Colin Shapiro <cmshapiro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Supposedly the "symlink" USE flag is supposed to control this behavior, but
for quite a while now, I have noticed that even with USE="-symlink", the
/usr/src/linux symlink is created anyway.  This occurs even with
gentoo-sources.

Other than the minor inconvenience of having to issue a "ln -sf" command, I
fail to see how this is a big problem.  How often do you really emerge a new
kernel?

Quite often. Probably 5-10 times per month...

Also, keep in mind that every time you emerge additional kernel sources, you
need to remerge any packages that build kernel modules so that these modules
are built for the new kernel.  Take nvidia-glx for example; if you have
gentoo-sources and rt-sources installed, you will have to emerge nvidia-glx
once for each kernel.  As such, changing the /usr/src/linux symlink around
isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I agree. However, if I am running 2.6.16-gentoo-r2 and emerge
rt-sources, I am not running rt-sources. rt-sources cannot run until I
configure it, build it, install it, change grub and reboot. In the
meantime I proceed to do work on my machine and later find out
mistakes are being made because the symlink is pointing to the wrong
kernel.

Further, I think that creating this link is not the Gentoo way. This
link is neither created, changed or destroyed when emerging
gentoo-sources or any of the other kernels. I think it should really
not be done here.

Cheers,
Mark

- Colin