Re: [hatari-users] nm style symbols

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 12:43:23 +0200
Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12/23/20 2:44 AM, Charles Curley wrote:
> > I would like to use an ASCII symbol table for a program I am
> > working on in Hatari. I am reading the manual, but it doesn't cover
> > everything. https://hatari.tuxfamily.org/doc/debugger.html
> >
> > Which characters are legal in symbol names? It appears Hatari does
> > not like semicolons or parentheses.
>
> No compiler or assembler accepts those in symbol
> names either.

Mine does, which is why the question came up.
https://github.com/charlescurley/realforth

> If I remember right, symbol names match pattern:
> 	[a-zA-Z0-9_.]+

It seems to accept [0-9], but trying to set a breakpoint on some of
them causes problems, so effectively those are also out.

Otherwise, that agrees with my experience.

I now have a shell script that substitutes two letter sequences for
unaccepted characters. Awkward, but it should work.

> > The documentation mentions creating symbols by hand. How does one do
> > that, and how does one then preserve such symbols?
>
> You just write the file in some text editor
> and load that in debugger.

Ah. I was thinking there was a way to define symbols within the
debugger. This works.

Thanks, that helps.

I now have a lot of what I need to generate an ASCII symbol table at
compile time.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com