Re: [hatari-users] nm style symbols

On 12/23/20 2:44 AM, Charles Curley wrote:
I would like to use an ASCII symbol table for a program I am working on
in Hatari. I am reading the manual, but it doesn't cover everything.
https://hatari.tuxfamily.org/doc/debugger.html

Which characters are legal in symbol names? It appears Hatari does not
like semicolons or parentheses.

No compiler or assembler accepts those in symbol
names either.

If I remember right, symbol names match pattern:
	[a-zA-Z0-9_.]+

Is there a maximum name length?

Only for DRI format symbols in the binaries, not for a.out or ASCII symbol names.

Do I need to purge existing symbols before I load a new symbol table,
or will the debugger do that for me?

Hatari will replace earlier loaded one.

For the symbol type, the debugger accepts T, D, and B, as mentioned in
the doc. It also appears to accept A for absolute addresses.

The documentation mentions creating symbols by hand. How does one do
that, and how does one then preserve such symbols?

You just write the file in some text editor
and load that in debugger.

If you want to augment existing symbols in
a binary, just save them to a file (e.g. using
gst2ascii), edit it and load that instead.
Binary can then be stripped.

	- Eero