Re: [hatari-devel] Symbol loading for upcoming MINT+ELF program format

On 28.8.2023 19.10, Thorsten Otto wrote:
although not yet officially released, i think the newly defined format is
mature enough to deserve support in Hatari. Attached is a patch to do so.

Thanks for the patch!

Please use the same (linux style) formatting as rest of the file.

Elf header processing in symbols_load_binary() is large enough that contents for the "/* new MiNT+ELF */" block should be in a separate function.

I'm also wondering whether bulk of handling the different symbol formats (ELF, a.out, PC) should be split to their own files, and keep only generic parts in symbols-common.c (which e.g. includes the others). Comments?

(If it's in a separate file, then it can have its own formatting style. At least as long it's one of the styles already used in Hatari, not new one.)

Note that currently the p_res1 member of the GEMDOS header contains the value
"ELF(". "(" here happens to be the decimal value 40, which is the offset to
the ELF header. That byte is masked out for the tests, should there be any
future extensions.

Ok, good to know!

A few definitions might by duplicate (also used in src/lilo.c), but i did not
bother to move them out there.

That's fine, there's not really overlap.

Overlapping definitions come only with your NetBSD support (its symbol handling), but I haven't merged that series because it does not work well enough in my testing (NetBSD boot fails earlier than without it).