Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari clock question

On Mittwoch, 17. August 2022 11:22:16 CEST Eero Tamminen wrote:

> I was thinking about potential problems in the future, when the date (the

> > year in particular) value increases.

I think the year value alone is not a problem in forseeable future. TOS/GEMDOS year is starting at 1980, with 7 bits for the value, making the maximum year 2107. And even if you only have 2 decimal digits stored in a RTC, starting at 1968, that will give a maximum of 2067.

The lowest problematic value for me seems to be ~2038, when the time is converted to seconds since 1970, and will then overflow a signed 32bit value. That is something that an emulator can't do much about. I guess lots of old programs will then run into problems.