Re: [hatari-devel] Question on new release and features

On 7/27/22 14:36, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
Le 27/07/2022 à 19:31, J.Young a écrit :

Nicolas, I remember you mentioning many years ago having that kind of patch yourself. :-)

Oh, ok, that's the author and patch I was talking about.  Sorry, Nicolas, I am not on here very often.  Yes, if that patch could just be available for private use outside of the main source for those who want to use it, that would be great.  I like using 2.4, but really could use that break on memory access now and who knows when 2.5 will be ready.

Pretty please? :)

that was no real patch, just hardcoding something like :

in function get_long() for example :
if ( addr = 0x20120 )
 DebugUI()

and that's all ; no way to provide the memory address you want to monitor and you need to recompile each time you changed the address.

so, committing such a "patch" would not help many people :)

the correct way to do it is like in winuae : replace the memory access functions pointer by an intermediate function that check if the address is monitored, then call the original function's pointer. With possibility to check after or before the memory access is done.

no patch for this at the moment

Ah, well it's all good. Sorry to pester a bit :).  Thanks for all the work on hatari.  Great piece of software.

Jeff