Re: [hatari-devel] Enhanced keymap support

On 5.11.2021 9.36, Thomas Huth wrote:
[...]
Problems:

1. Hatari symbolic key handling should have support for all keys in
the Atari ST layout, but it does not.  E.g. several of them do not
have SDL defines.

    => key names could be used for mapping those

2. Hatari ignores everything using AltGr, although that's needed e.g.
for @, [] and {} keys on Finnish keyboard.

3. mapping some of the keycodes properly requires knowing the current
TOS keyboard layout (US, French etc) to inject correct ST scancode,
but Hatari currently hardcodes US layout.

    => Could Hatari infer keyboard layout from TOS version,
multilanguage TOS header, and NVRAM?

I think that just doesn't scale. Hatari could guess the right keys in
the most common cases, but IIRC there are also Atari programs that
change the layout during runtime...

I do not think Hatari needs to care what happens after emulation starts. If user adds some
extra keyboard layout change to Atari side,
it's his/her responsibility then, not Hatari's.

Honestly, I think we should get completely rid of the symbolic keyboard
mapping nowadays (apart from the loadable keymappings). The symbolic
key mapping was mainly included since you could not rely on the scancode
layout with SDL1 (e.g. on macOS the layout was completely different
there), but with SDL2, we now have the guarantee that the scancode
layout it fixed (based on the USB standard, as you've mentioned it).

As I mentioned, there are some keys that cannot be
mapped directly, because the physical layouts of
PC and Atari keyboards differ a bit (mostly that
single key Vincent mentioned).

And there are also keyboards which do not look
like ST keyboards at all / have a lot less keys.

=> I think symbolic key mapping is still needed
for those, but it needs to be significantly
improved.

We then should teach users to think of the Atari keyboard layout when
typing keys (especially non-letters), and maybe provide some pictures
of the Atari keyboard with the keys and corresponding scancodes in
the manual.

For people who want to type special characters in a way that rather
matches their host keyboard, they then could use the key mapping
functionality (which should still be based on symbolic host key names,
of course, I don't mean to get rid of these - i.e. the loadable key
mapping with symbolic host keys should be done on top of "hard-coded"
scancode key mapping that is included in Hatari).

Makes sense?

Do you mean removing the user option of
selecting how keys are mapped?

I'm fine switching the logic to this:

1. If no keymap loaded, check keypad (like before)

2. If keymap loaded and key matches, use that

3. Otherwise try scancode

4. If still no match, try symbolic