Re: [hatari-devel] Keypad / Numlock handling

Am Thu, 14 Oct 2021 23:28:11 +0300

> Hi,
>
> While going through:
> https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_Scancode
>
> And the Google image search results, I noticed
> that there are quite a few keypads that offer
> also other keys than numbers, e.g. letters.
>
> Although such keypads are a bit rare, maybe we
> should convert those keys to corresponding Atari
> keys too?

We could add a mapping - but to which destination keys would you map
them? For example, you could map SDLK_KP_A to scancode 0x1e, then you
would get an "A" with keyboard layouts that are similar to the
US-layout. But it will completely fail if the user is using a French
TOS version... Ok, same thing happens with the symbolic key mapping,
but honestly I'm still dreaming of getting rid of the symbolic key
mapping in Hatari completely, now that we do not have to support SDL1
anymore. I think it should be possible to always use the scancode
mapping now with SDL2 since it guarantees the layout of the scancodes
on all systems (with SDL1, for example, scancode layout on macOS was
completely different), but I haven't had any spare time to have a
closer look at that possibility of optimization yet.