Re: [hatari-devel] Symbols visibility in debugger code

On Sonntag, 18. Juli 2021 13:06:18 CEST Troed Sångberg wrote:

> (I'm also not sure I understand what you mean, the symbols table has the

> addresses - so unless $1000 was a valid symbol it would not be replaced)

Yes, but that was just an example. Replace $10000 by $70000 and you may end up with a value that might as well be a valid program address, but actually wasn't used that way.

In an object file, you have relocation entries. That means there is an info about the 2nd instruction that the symbol "mylabel" was referenced there. But such relocation information is missing in linked programs. So you can try to do some heuristic about values being inside the programs text/data/bss segments, but then you might end up with printing some unrelated symbol name for the first instruction in my example, and that might be even more confusing.