[hatari-devel] Re: [Emutos-devel] Hatari reset loop during EmuTOS automated testing

Roger Burrows schrieb:

For now, I'm going to disable the TT test.  I don't want to hold up EmuTOS
development for an obscure Hatari problem.

I have a fix for the TT test. I will push it later.

Thanks to the Google Compute Engine, I was able to quickly spin up a VM
with Ubuntu 18.04 to test. Here is what I found:

1. The reason for the reset loop. EmuTOS goes through a reset due to an
apparent change of monitor type. Even if Hatari 2.1.0 is configured for
an color monitor, EmuTOS detects a *monochrome* one during the boot
process of the emulated TT. Later, it correctly detects a color monitor
and resets. This repeats until the test times out.

2. Why I could not reproduce it under Windows. Hatari was using my
config file (in my user directory), which is set for a monochrome
monitor. Therefore, the monitor detection at boot and the subsequent
checks yield the same result. => No reset. I can reproduce it on my
(Windows) machine, too, when configuring a color monitor.

3. Why the initial detection is wrong and why this particular commit
broke it. I cannot explain that. Note that the monitor type is detected
by reading the state of one of the MFP's pins via the GPIP register. But
tracing 'mfp_read' shows that the wrong monitor detection during EmuTOS
boot does not even hit the MFP code in Hatari 2.1.0. I can only assume
that a cached value is used in error.

I think we must conclude that this is a bug in the undoubtedly ancient
Hatari version we currently use in our GitHub Actions build. It is fixed
in Hatari 2.2.x. (I tested that after I knew how to reproduce the issue
in the first place, of course.)

Fortunately, as a short term fix (that I was referring to above) we can
configure the test to use a monochrome monitor. I already confirmed that
this works in my fork of EmuTOS on GitHub.

As a mid-term solution I shall see that we switch to a newer Ubuntu VM
for our builds. E.g., Ubuntu Focal LTS includes Hatari 2.2.1. But that
will require careful testing.

Regards
Christian
--