Re: [hatari-devel] IMP chipset (in)compatibility

Le 10/03/2021 à 20:21, Christian Zietz a écrit :
Hello,

over in a German forum [1], a user wondered why two games (G-Loc and
Team Suzuki) wouldn't run on his (real) MegaST. And he was able to
confirm this with Hatari: Runs on emulated ST, doesn't run on emulated
MegaST.

Wild theories were discussed (regarding Blitter and RTC), but in the
end, this turned out to be a chipset issue, both in Hatari as in the
real HW. I checked both games: they reset the (STE-only) 'linewidth'
register $FF820E/FF820F. This is harmless on an ST/MegaST with Ricoh
chipset but causes a bus error on an IMP chipset, as confirmed by your
tests:

https://git.tuxfamily.org/hatari/hatari.git/tree/tests/buserror/results/st_w.txt
(Ricoh)
https://git.tuxfamily.org/hatari/hatari.git/tree/tests/buserror/results/mst4_w.txt
(IMP)

This explains the user's observation, as Hatari emulates the MegaST with
an IMP chipset, but the ST with a Ricoh chipset. Furthermore, the user
confirms that his real MegaST indeed has an IMP chipset. Note that I'm
therefore *not* saying Hatari is wrong here (you had to make a choice).
  I'm proposing a patch (attached) to compatibility.html.

Hi

a choice has indeed to be made on the chipset version ; we could have a "very advanced settings" screeb to change this kind of chipset choice, but I'm not sure it would not confuse the users (as not everyone will understand the meaning of such settings). But maybe such settings will be added one day.

In the meantime, I agree that some notes could be added to the doc as you suggest.