Re: [hatari-devel] readme.txt changes

Am Mon, 19 Oct 2020 13:40:13 +0300

> Hi Thomas,
>
> You did recently some changes to readme.txt:
>
> +       cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" ..
> +       gmake -j$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN)
> +       gmake install
>

> On Debian & Ubuntu, 'gmake' seems to come only from "freebsd-glue"
> package (depended by "freebsd-buildutils" package):
> https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=gmake&mode=path&suite=stable&arch=any

Oh, that's a pity. On Fedora / RHEL, "gmake" is part of the normal
"make" package.

Anyway, on the various *BSDs and macOS, it's better to use "gmake"
instead of "make", since "make" is the BSD version, and not GNU make.

Fortunately, cmake can abstract all of these, too, so let's simply use
cmake here, then we are independent of make/gmake/ninja/whatever.

> "getconf" comes from "libc-bin", which is essential package, so it's
> fine, as long as there's an automated test that makes sure that we
> don't accidentally break parallel builds although we now recommend it.
>
> I've seen $("nproc") (which comes from essential "coreutils") used
> more often for specifying the core count than "getconf" though.

nproc is not portable as far as I know, e.g. older versions of macOS
don't have it.

> Is '-G "Unix Makefiles"' needed anywhere else than Windows?

Not sure, it likely depends on the way cmake was built ... it's likely
better to simply stop referring to make and simply always use cmake
instead.