Re: [hatari-devel] EmuTOS version number display

On 02/10/2020 23.24, Vincent Rivière wrote:
On 03/02/2020 à 21:36, Roger Burrows wrote:
Since the most recent official release of EmuTOS (0.9.12), we've added
code in EmuTOS to provide the EmuTOS version programatically.

There is a problem with current Hatari. It doesn't correctly display the version of EmuTOS "1.0", our most polished release. Instead, it displays "1.0.0".

There is a not-so-well-know rule: if the third number is 0, then it must not be displayed. So current EmuTOS release should be displayed as "1.0". And hypothetical future bugfix release should be displayed as "1.0.1".

Honestly, in my eyes that is a very stupid rule. It only makes things way more complicated.

1) It's slightly confusing to sometimes have one dot in the version string, and sometimes not.

2) It has implications on sorting of directory listings, e.g.:
$ touch emutos-1.0.zip
$ touch emutos-1.0.1.zip
$ touch emutos-1.0.2.zip
$ ls -l
total 0
-rw-rw-r--. 1 thuth thuth 0 Oct  3 10:03 emutos-1.0.1.zip
-rw-rw-r--. 1 thuth thuth 0 Oct  3 10:08 emutos-1.0.2.zip
-rw-rw-r--. 1 thuth thuth 0 Oct  3 10:03 emutos-1.0.zip
==> Wrong ordering, the 1.0 should come first.

3) The code for displaying the version is more complicated in every emulator that supports it

4) When talking about version numbers, and saying something like "1.0", I'm normally used to referring all versions 1.0.x with that term.

5) If I see an emulator that shows "EmuTOS v1.0", I as a normal user can't tell if the emulator is showing 1.0.0 here or if the author of the emulator just messed it up and always cuts the last digit, so that e.g. 1.0.1 also shows up as 1.0.

6) That rule isn't even mentioned in doc/version.txt of the EmuTOS sources as far as I can see.

So please do us all a favor and scratch that stupid rule. Simply always use three digits as version numbers, it's much easier. Thanks.