Re: [hatari-devel] m68k Linux under Hatari (was: 030 exceptions on auto-increment instructions)

On 2/29/20 6:53 PM, Toni Wilen wrote:
<snip>

(There seems to be something fishy in kernel <->
userspace interface, I've seen Linux to use
use exception handling liberally when accessing
all kinds of things, instead of it e.g. checking
for NULL pointers etc.  And for some reasons that
still doesn't work properly in Hatari.)

hard to tell what's going on with just this kernel dump.

<snip>

Also enable MMU debugging (mmu_common.h #define MMUDEBUG 1 and
cpummu030.h #define MMU030_DEBUG 1)

When exactly does this error happen? After kernal has been loaded but
before any disk accesses or when first user space program starts?

After Busybox init has started from IDE drive
under Atari Falcon emulation.  I normally load
kernel to ST-RAM (to get correct kernel addresses
in debugger), but I guess user-space programs
get loaded to TT-RAM.

All user-space programs don't have issues, but
in the ones with which it happens, its fully
reproducible. The cases I've noticed, are
documented at end of:
https://hatari.tuxfamily.org/doc/m68k-linux-for-hatari.txt

Earlier there were also randomly occurring issues,
but I haven't used new Hatari version enough so
that I could say whether those still happen or
not.

I have noticed Linux drivers really expect error free hardware and try
to use all kinds of advanced features, for example neither IDE or SCSI
originally worked in WinUAE in Linux (or most other unixes) without
fixing few edge-cases (that if I remember correctly, also made some
drivers to misdetect hardware revision or type). Native Amiga programs
and drivers didn't care.

Hatari SCSI emulation isn't yet good enough to
boot Linux, that's why I use IDE.