Re: [hatari-devel] Possible bug in CPU emulation?

Le 07/10/2019 à 21:51, Christian Zietz a écrit :
Thorsten Otto schrieb:

As reported here <https://github.com/freemint/freemint/issues/127>, a
user created a disk image that works with Hatari, but crashes on real
hardware. The culprit seems to be the CBHD driver, but i would have
expected that Hatari shows the same error.

I'd rather bet on a slightly different behavior of the emulated ACSI
drive compared to the real HW the people in the bug report are using.

Also, I would still investigate the original crash (regardless of
whether it is reproducible in Hatari). Might still be a bug in XaAES or
MiNT, that is just triggered by CBHD.

Hi

I agree that cpu bugs are always possible, but given the "complexity" of the reported setup, it's quite likely that the combination of several parts might be creating this bug, cpu emulation itself is really close to real HW (except for cycle accuracy, which might explain the differences)

As you say, maybe the bug is in one of the driver, but it never shows on real hardware "by luck" because of slightly different timing compared to a less accurate emulation.

I second your opinino that if it crashes on real ST but not under Hatari, the path to follow is indeed to find why it crashes on real HW, and then we can see why emulation doesn't create the same context for the crash. But doing it the other way around, by trying to guess where Hatari should crash instead of working correctly will just be too tedious and nearly impossible to solve.