Re: [hatari-devel] Small patch to add some partition IDs for auto-detection of byteswapped images

On 2018-12-06 02:05, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/5/18 11:53 AM, Thorsten Otto wrote:
>> attached is a small patch that adds some more partition types to the
>> detection ('F32', 'MIX' and 'UNX').

Thanks, patch applied.

> Btw. Partition type detection is used (only) for checking whether
> harddisk should be byte-swapped.  However, it's done only for
> the first Atari partition table partition.
>
> It's not done for DOS MBR (supported by EmuTOS and e.g. Uwe's
> HD driver).  Could HDs with MBR be also byte-swapped?

The check is there:

 bootsector[0x1fe] == 0xaa && bootsector[0x1ff] == 0x55

Doesn't that work for you?

> According to AHDI documentation, "XGM" (extended) partition cannot
> be the first one, because HD cannot booted from it.
>
> However, it's also possible to boot from another hard disk (image)
> or from a floppy with a HD driver, so it's possible to use a HD that
> doesn't TOS compatible first partition.
>
> -> I guess other partition types need to be checked for byte-swap,
> like they already are, and what you proposed to extend.

Sorry, I don't understand what you try to say here. There is already a
check for XGM:

 (bootsector[0x1c6] == 'X' && bootsector[0x1c8] == 'M' &&
bootsector[0x1c9] == 'G')

What else should be missing?