Re: [hatari-devel] asm56000.ttp problem

On Mittwoch, 3. Oktober 2018 12:04:07 CEST Christian Zietz wrote:
> I recommend to first identify
> all uses of the __NHANDLES define in the library, then to find the
> matching functions to be patched in the disassembly

I don't think that this can easily be done. __NHANDLES is also used to set up
an array of struct __open_file __open_stat[]. If you change the compares to
accept higher values, certain function will suddenly write beyond the end of
that array. Increasing the size of the array in the bss can also not easily be
done, since that changes all addresses of all variables that follow it.

BTW., current mintlib still suffers from the same problem: the handle returned
by GEMDOS is used as an index into that array (offset by 3, to take into
account valid negative handles). Since other programs compiled with current
versions of mintlib don't seem to have that problem, this makes me think that
the problem is within the application code itself, rather than in the library.

BTW2: __NHANDLES is still only 40 in current mintlib, although at least mint
can handle much more now.