Re: [hatari-devel] Two problems

On Sonntag, 6. Mai 2018 10:18:54 CEST Eero Tamminen wrote:
> * Atari TOS language dictates the keyboard key layout that TOS uses.
>    If you use TOS for different language, some of these change
>    (this is easiest to test with different EmuTOS 256k versions).

Apropos keyboard layout: there is one conceptional problem with that mapping.
Hatari currently only allows to map one key to another. The problem with this
is that, on eg. german keyboards, there are some ascii characters physically
located on different keys on a pc keyboard compared to an Atari keyboard. For
example the left bracket is located on AltGr+8 on a pc keyboard, but Alt-ö on
an Atari. That means, theoretically, hatari should produce scancode 39 when
pressing ö, and also when pressing AltGr+8, because that is what TOS would
expect (assuming i use a german TOS version). OTOH, pressing 8 alone (or with
shift) should produce scancode 9, because the mapping of that key is
identical.

That problem currently prevents me from producing those characters in most
cases. Using a US TOS version sometimes helps, but then i'm not able to
produce the german umlauts, and it is also not nice to have to remember the
different keyboard layout all the time, because that will of course also
change all the other keys.