[hatari-devel] Control socket server

Hello all,

I have a question about the reasoning behind Hataris control sockets' need for an external dedicated server.

Is there any reason to not serve/create the socket in Hatari itself (other than additional complexity)? Is it planned to control more than one instance from one server?

I'm currently playing with this and it seems a bit of a hassle to have every control application implementation set up a server (like e.g. the PythonUI does). My current testbed is a dead simple edit&continue workflow involving Sublime and an Hatari debug script (aka "magic"). To make things easier on the Editors side, I patched Hatari for OSX (domain socket) & Win (IP socket) to serve the connection. That way even a simple shell script can control Hatari nicely along the lines of echo+nc.

It would be nice to simplify the control sockets for users/developers - especially the "new" breed of text editors (Atom, Sublime, VSCode) lend themselves nicely to send commands to Hatari. Of course the extensions could spawn their own server, but it seems a bit of an overkill and adds another hurdle.

Anything I'm missing?

Regards,
 tIn.