Re: [hatari-devel] --force-max not working in 2.0.0

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018, Thomas Huth wrote:

Am Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:14:42 -0500
schrieb Troed Sångberg <troed@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

Video recording Falcon emulation still doesn't work well with SDL2.
Where did this thread from 2016 end up? Was the 32-bit rendering
patch merged and so the "only" issue still left is to implement
scaling to max resolution for SDL2 as well?

Yes, the pixel depth patch has been included here:

https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/rev/af2a1173a4de

I also included some scaling function here:

https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/rev/bbcbaf9453f2
https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/rev/28968240d2d3

What's exactly your problem?

Hi!

Perhaps I should do some input here as I'm to blame for bringing it up to Troed (asking if he could do a SDL1 Hatari 2.1). Sorry for a long messy post, but I don't know how to explain it in shorter form.

Problem 1
Hatari 2.1 with SDL2 doesn't do padding to the desired --force-max.

To help explaining here are two screendumps from SDL1 Hatari 2.0 and SDL2 Hatari 2.1, both running the desktop in hires with overscan flag
(768*480).

http://ae.dhs.nu/pics/hatari/1.html

SDL1 makes a correct 832*626 window while SDL2 doesn't (don't ask me where it gets the 804*566 from).

Problem 2
Some history; Hatari used to break video recording in Falcon mode when the screen size changed. Understandable. The --force-max solved it perfectly.

But as it doesn't work with SDL2, Hatari have now started scaling graphics to fit the window size of the first recorded frame.

It results in very ugly recordings. If the program you record from uses different resolutions throughout it's runtime, each resolution will be scaled differently. To make things worse the aspect ratio is lost too.

Anohter example to show the difference between SDL2 Hatari 2.1 and SDL1 Hatari 2.0:

http://ae.dhs.nu/pics/hatari/2.html

I think the best and correct fix would be a working --force-max again.

--
Anders Eriksson
ae@xxxxxx     http://www.dhs.nu/