Re: [hatari-devel] Support for loading GNU-style symbols from a.out executables

On Sonntag, 12. November 2017 23:19:31 CET Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Now that Hatari supports MMU, I assume one could run also Linux
> under it

You could try ;) Definitely, it will be the best test wether the MMU emulation
works. Other than linux, there are only things like outside or vram that
really make use of the mmu, but i'm not sure wether they interfere with the
gemdos emulation. To load linux you either have to find some ataboot.prg to
start it from tos, or implement it directly in Hatari, like Aranym does. There
should be some linux images available somewhere, one for an older debian sarge
kernel, and also some other with a more recent kernel. I only just can't find
the links currently... let me know if you need them.

>Linux uses nowadays ELF for dynamically loaded libs,
>but I assume a.out is still supported too.

I'm not sure, at least there is no dynamic loader for a.out anymore in glibc.

>Supporting Linux a.out binaries would need few additional changes in Hatari
>debugger though

Not only a.out binaries. There is no such thing as a p_root system variable
that would tell you the basepage of the current program ;)