Re: [hatari-devel] Faster MMU emulation + various cpu updates

"I recall I saw some math libraries needed to run povray under 68040/60 extension board for falcon. Does anyone has more info on this ? (doug maybe, as he replied in a thread about this in atari-forum ?)"

Yep that was IIRC a software emulation package for 68881/2 FPU instructions which are not implemented natively on 040/060 chips. The newer chips implemented a fast subset of the full instruction set. I think the emulation was just handled via line-F exceptions.

So if you compiled some code (with gcc) targeting 020/881, then the 040/060 machines could only run the code with that emulation package resident (i.e. in the auto folder).

If you compiled for 040/060/020-60 then it should have generated code using only the legal subset for those chips.

The 'legal subset' included just the arithmetic ops plus square root, sin/cos and other basics. The missing ones (trans. functions) were emulated through line-F in terms of those.

The emulation package I think came from Motorola themselves, or maybe Apple (for the Mac/040). I don't remember the details now.

I still have it somewhere, the .prg at least. Not sure about source.

Doug.