Re: [hatari-devel] Correct 2-plane colors & scroller size with VDI mode?

On 04/02/2017 11:35 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:
Am Fri, 31 Mar 2017 20:51:41 +0200
schrieb Cocoa Pod <cocoa.pod@xxxxxxx>:
MegaSTE TOS206fr, 4 Mib, 16 MHz, VDI 800x600 4 colors, No HD, I get:

Black is yellow as you see !

Yeah, it's always been like that - I think TOS only sets the 16 colors
palette during boot (since it only boots in low resolution by default),
and this is not suitable for 4 colors.
We'd need some TOS patches for this in tos.c, but so far nobody really
cared yet (since 16 colors are better and working fine), so I guess
this will remain a "know bug" forever ;-)

Adding HD GEMDOS I get:

Black is black (you can sing it) but horizontal size of scroller
seems curious.

When you enable GEMDOS HD, Hatari can patch the NEWDESK.INF file on
that disk, so TOS knows that is has to "switch" to 4 colors mode, and
so you get the right colors here.

Note: this doesn't work with autostarting because that will use
its own, virtual Desktop INF files.

For these to interact properly, VDI mode should share the INF files
with autostart feature (it's pretty annoying that VDI ones are
in source as hex instead of as ASCII).

And autostart should support taking virtual INF file contents
from disk, if they exist, and only otherwise using the builtin
versions.

This assumes the on-disk INF file isn't broken, I'm not sure
how much we can trust that...