Re: [hatari-devel] [Offtopic] new atari falcon demo released

> Very impressive! How long did it take to develop such a demo?

About 1,5 year.
But I've reused some routines I had and I optmimized or transformed for the demo.
The last 3 months were more intensive with a lot of polishing.

> Did you have to work around any quirks in Hatari to make it also
> running nicely there?

Not really, I develop the demo under hatari, so it runs quite well.
But I have to test frequently on the real harware because there are
differencies of behaviour (especially into the DSP code)

The 2 main "DSP errors" are :

- the non accurate Rx pipeline, ie if you do:

move  a,r0
move x:(r0),b

r0 is not pointing on address "a" because of the pipeline delay of one instruction.

- the restrictions near the hardware loop : this is more vicious.
(many instructions are forbidden near a hardware loop).

The main problem is that hatari runs faster than the real falcon (sometimes 2 VBLs difference) and when you think the code is OK, and test it on real hardware ...

I think that one big cycle stealer which is missing actually in hatari is the Videl (I've got some documentation from Rodolphe czuba's site that explains how the videl "steals" the cycles every 19 cycles (or so) in burst mode.... I'll have to find it again and share it with you all).
Maybe after adding this one, the cycles could be closer to the real hardware (especially in true color mode, where the videl refreshs the screen frequently)...

Anyway, hatari is a great tool for gaming, looking videos and coding (woaouhhh) ;)

Regards
Laurent