Re: [hatari-devel] SDL2 and Videl mode handing issue

Am Mon, 7 Nov 2016 01:34:09 +0200

> Hi Thomas,
>
> When you added SDL2 support, you ifdeffed out
> the Videl resolution scaling code for SDL2.

Yes, scaling is done by SDL2 in a much better way, so that part should
not be used anymore.

> As result, I get "Failed to create 5120x516@32
> texture" error and Hatari exit when Mahabharata
> demo starts.
>
> Could you look at it at some point?

It does not abort for me here, but I can see that the demo temporarily
switches to such a huge resolution, which does not make sense.
The problem is here that we calculate the Videl resolution via the
FF8210 register and the current BPP value. I think this is wrong and
should be fixed one day, likely via HDB and HDE instead, but I don't
have a clue how these Videl registers work, and currently lack the time
to get into this...
So I now added a work-around that does some sanity check on the width
and limits the resolution if it is bigger than 1200 pixels (IIRC the
Videl width could hardly be bigger than 1024 pixels, so 1200 should be
a fair limit here).