Re: [hatari-devel] HD floppy timing

Le 31/05/2016 à 10:38, Nicolas Pomarède a écrit :
Le 31/05/2016 00:28, Roger Burrows a écrit :
On 30 May 2016 at 17:45, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:

I never really checked the accuracy of HD/ED format, since no program is
known to depend on this (it's not the case for DD where game protections
expect very precise timing for gap, read sector and so on).

Basically, DD timings to transfer a byte from floppy are divided by 2
for HD and divided by 4 for ED.

It's quite possible this doesn't give the same values as real HW :)

I think I can guess the problem: the emulated HD drives are spinning
at twice
the speed of a DD, so a sector miss (extra revolution) takes 100 msec
when it
should take 200msec.  Not a problem for games, but it does make Hatari
less
accurate as a tool.

I will have a look, it's possible HD and ED disks don't have a 300 RPM
in Hatari at the moment (which they should) and this would explain the
problem.

Hi

when testing with the attached FLRPMM.PRG, I get 600 RPM for DD, HD and ED floppies if use Hatari with STF mode running at 16 MHz ; this should On the other end, DD, HD and ED floppies all report 300 RPM with STF at 8 MHz.

In your case in Falcon mode, do you see 100 msec for a sector miss only when using ED floppy, or is it also the case for DD and HD floppies ?

My guess is that RPM is wrongly affected by cpu speed multiplier, which shouldn't be the case.