|Re: [hatari-devel] Pixel aspekt ratio|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel Archives
- To: hatari-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [hatari-devel] Pixel aspekt ratio
- From: David Savinkoff <dsavnkff@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:59:24 -0700 (MST)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=telus.net; s=neo; t=1447347564; bh=Uj/9tK28/sK2oBQVJOvzjyAtrolPVf7e1o5J6Lf/YPM=; h=Date:From:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References:Subject: MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=EV1Yyhw6TGVTIIYeiveXMp0gWa2guYKiZxHtKkbLF1VgmJE/c1YPHPeH1I3V3ydlO HL4S9TSssnEYyESnZmhDwZvTekWblEddtrne/MnANlzLPaBd8KoCv5GAufoeGaWg7a cRM0ICyufE1lX+yI37lgx74KEErUauUZGiESxAYyWYqzXuI7g0PHrKSOYdnrrEGo76 Uhpii0ZanQqZMgyibUzP1GeG/Bco+dBz03bW2xrqLYCZ0nqNZnKCHSC7gcs5TJeO4S gEYkLEg0eXpfle+XeMeVszxEmFeTU1bZ0pNIsgGSYsM0V3ANMtJgli3hfQJvHrahEs wZ6YioWdP89Pg==
- Thread-index: NigJnz+f1Z/ETufiV9qWdWQiDoSSVA==
- Thread-topic: Pixel aspekt ratio
----- Troed Sångberg wrote:
> Recently I realized that graphics I made on my Mac and displayed in Hatari
> did not look the same as when I viewed it on my ST. On the ST everything
> was stretched out vertically.
> I couldn't really understand why, so I started looking for discussions on
> Atari ST pixel sizes, and found the following:
> "and later on the 16-bit Atari ST (low-resolution 320×200 pixels) each
> pixel was roughly .9×1"
> Going by the above I stretched the graphics by a factor 1.11 horizontally
> and all of a sudden a photo taken from the graphics as displayed on the ST
> matched perfectly what was displayed in Hatari.
> Is this a general thing with modern monitors having square pixels so that
> an emulator with 1:1 mapping will always display things "compress"
> vertically compared to what was originally designed for target?
> If so, should Hatari offer the option to not do 1:1 mapping but stretch
> vertically to try to display content as close to what it would look like
> Sorry if this is a topic that has been debated to death before, it was new
> to me when I stumbled upon it.
I gave a quick look at .png picture information any they mention
One would expect a picture format should display with the correct
Thus, Hatari should be able to produce a picture with any dimension,
and any aspect ratio by simply providing the correct header for .png.
As for a display window, the scaling should be 'offloaded' to the
operating system by simply providing the information, and not with
an assumed 1:1 aspect ratio.
Will SDL2 allow the user to stretch the window by dragging the edge?
(This can be done in OpenGL without fiddling with pixels)