Re: [hatari-devel] Hard disk emulation (device files) issues

Am Fri, 30 Oct 2015 23:45:51 +0100
schrieb Uwe Seimet <Uwe.Seimet@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi all,
>
> When using the device file of a 2.9 TeraByte drive as a hard disk
> image for Hatari on Linux I noticed two problems:
>
> 1. The ACSI emulation only reports a capacity of 1565565872 sectors
> (782 GB) for this drive, and higher sector numbers are indeed not
> accessible.

You don't really expect the ACSI bus that has been designed in the 1980s
to work with a hard disk that is multiple TB big, do you?
I doubt that the ACSI commands can handle such big disks (and IIRC
Hatari does not emulated extended SCSI commands for such things yet).

> 2. The IDE emulation does not seem to support more than
> 2^28 sectors, even though the sources seem to indicate that 2^48
> sectors (LBA48) should be possible.

Don't know, I've once copied the code from QEMU but I never looked into
big disks yet.

> I'm not sure whether I am going to investigate this, but in any case I
> would like to know whether there are any known limits or problems with
> device files. Does anybody know?

Files bigger than 4 GB have hardly been tested. I think I've once fixed
most "fseek vs. fseeko" style problems, but there are likely some bugs
still lurking around.