Re: [hatari-devel] Release time for 1.8.1 ?

Am Thu, 07 May 2015 10:44:20 +0200
schrieb Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Le 07/05/2015 00:56, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
[...]
> > To current devel version where major end-user visible features are:
> > - Working TT-RAM, MMU & 060 support in "Falcon" (WinUAE) version
> > - Joystick & keyboard navigation in SDL GUI
> > - Non-ASCII character support in SDL GUI & GEMDOS HD emulation
> > - SDL2 support for arbitrary ST/E screen scaling
> >    (frequently requested Hatari feature)
> > - New mime-types & icons :-)
> >
> > I don't think it's a lesser release.  I would propose 1.9.
>
> It's not always easy to decide why such version had a big number
> change, and other only a minor. But I really want to keep 1.9 and 2.0
> for major releases with huge changes (for example : full cpu switch
> to winuae, full rewrite of the shifter emulation, full switch to
> sdl2, ...)
>
> If we look only at the emulation (not emulator) improvements, I think
> we're more in an average update than in a big one, hence the 1.8.1

I think I agree with Eero. There have been quite a bunch of changes, so
I'd go for 1.9 now, and when WinUAE core and SDL2 are really mature
and enabled by default, I'd go for 2.0. Considering that there is
approx. one or two releases per year, 2.0 is then released next year, I
think that's enough time to fix the most annoying bugs in these new
features.

By the way, the original idea behind the three-numbered version was:
number and the third one was just thought for shipping bugfixes (e.g.
when we discover some really ugly bugs right after a release and have
to do another release due to this). But since I stepped back from doing
the releases, it's finally your call now, Nicolas, so if you think that
1.8.1 suits better, I'm also fine with this.