Re: [hatari-devel] hatari-ui icon is too small to be used in the software center

On maanantai 27 lokakuu 2014, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
> Le 27/10/2014 18:07, Matthias Arndt a écrit :
> > Maybe a good idea to begin supplying SVG icons directly? I personally
> > favour them by now.
>
> Well, we would need to 1st convert the png to svg, using some tools to
> do it automatically I guess, not sure this would be as good as a native
> svg file.
>
> But then, we don't know if all distro are using svg for icons, it seems
> they're still using png at higher resolution instead.

I think they all at least support using SVG as icons.  All relevant
(Gtk & Qt) GUI toolkits should AFAIK support SVG and I think technically
one can give any supported image format in the program .desktop file.
Distro preferences is another matter.

> So, if this svg would be used to create 256x256 icon in png, maybe it's
> better to just supply directly a 256x256 png for hatari-ui ?

Attached are couple of SVG files converted from Hatari PNG logo
with light editing.

Then couple of SVG versions of just the "H" letter in Hatari logo,
and same in few different sizes in PNG format.

Do any of the SVG images look usable?

Maybe h-outlined.svg.gz?  Somebody more experienced in e.g. Inkscape
could remove few extra things from that and change the auto-converted
colors closer to what's in the logo & other images.