Re: [hatari-devel] Assigning GEMDOS HD to unused drive?

On maanantai 29 syyskuu 2014, Roger Burrows wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2014 at 22:39, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > Unlike with hdc.c ACSI emulation, I didn't see in IDE emulation
> > code for checking how many partitions the given image files
> > have.  In attached patch (which also renames ACSI partition
> > count variable), I've just assumed both master and slave
> > have 4 partitions, as that's max.
>
> Don't know Hatari, but don't forget there can be extended partitions.

Hatari ACSI code doesn't count extended partitions, and I think
it's really rare to use them with emulation (too bothersome),
so I think it's good enough to count just primary ones [1].

It's not really that serious because only thing partition
count is used for is knowing to skip right number of drives
when assigning GEMDOS HD drive to free drive letter.  If
Hatari gets that wrong, you can always override it with
multiple GEMDOS HD dir support (or use --gemdos-drive
option, if it's deemed to be still necessary).

I changed Hatari code to count the real (primary) partitions
also in IDE case, not just assume 4 per image.  As DOS MBR is
nowadays more common than Atari one, I added:
- support for that too (selected with MBR end 0x55AA signature)
- partition table printing when IDE ("ide") or ACSI ("scsi_cmd")
  tracing is enabled.

	- Eero

[1] DOS MBR has several different extended partition
    schemes and I think Atari has too...  IMHO too much
    code needed for the exceedingly rare corner-case
    usability improvement.