Re: [hatari-devel] OS X SDL2 fixes

Am Thu, 21 Aug 2014 21:43:06 -0500
schrieb Bob Carpenter <hatari@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Thomas,
>
> Here are my responses. I apologize in advance for the long post.
>
> On Aug 21, 2014, at 4:00 AM, Thomas Huth <th.huth@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > You are talking about the OS X dialog, not the SDL dialog, right?
> > Is there maybe a shortcut key is listed for this dialog when you
> > browse through the OS X menu? (i.e. could it be that the shortcut
> > activates two menu items?)
>
> Yes, I am talking about the OS X dialog. I did check the NIB file and
> I do not find any keyboard shortcut attached to this menu item.
> However, I am sure there is a place in the code where the OS X Hatari
> shortcuts exist, but I have not been able to find them.

Ok ... I've also got no other ideas right now how to debug this issue.

> >> 3. Most times, when entering full screen mode, Hatari will only
> >> occupy the upper left corner of the screen until I move the mouse.
> >> Then, Hatari takes up the entire window.
> >
> > That's certainly a bug in the SDL library. Could you maybe report
> > the problem at the libsdl.org project?
>
> Unfortunately, without the ability to create a test case myself, it
> will have to be left to some other project to report the problem. As
> with Hatari, they will want a very small and simple code sample that
> shows the bug. Simply showing them Hatari will do no good.

Ok, then we likely need a OS X coder who is willing to create such a
test case...

> Also, I should mention this has only happened to me when I am at the
> desktop. If I start a game first and then switch to fullscreen mode,
> the screen is the proper size.

Hmm, maybe it is only ok if you moved the mouse in the Hatari window
first?

> > You can go back to the old behaviour with the resolution change by
> > replacing SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP with SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN
> > in screen.c.
>
> I did try this and the desktop looked much better in fullscreen.
> Unfortunately, when I exited fullscreen, I ended up with a black
> screen. I could not Cmd-Tab to any other program and my OS X keys did
> not work to force quit Hatari since I was still in Hatari.
> Thankfully, I could still use the right option key + Q, hit Return
> and exit Hatari.

Ok, ... so using the old fullscreen mode is not an option.

> > SDL_SetHint(SDL_HINT_RENDER_SCALE_QUALITY, "linear");
> >
> > Instead of "linear" you can also try "best".
> >

> I think the “best” hint looked as good as the old behavior so I would
> suggest using the hint and staying with the new fullscreen behavior.
> It looks more like other OS X fullscreen modes with the wipe effect.

Ok, thanks for trying, ... when I got some spare time and motivation, I
think I'll add a possibility to select one of the scaling modes in
Hatari.

> >> 5. Sometimes, but not always, the host (OS X) mouse pointer will
> >> stay on the screen in fullscreen mode along with the Atari mouse
> >> pointer. The OS X mouse pointer won’t move and only the Atari
> >> mouse pointer works in fullscreen.
> >
> > That sounds like another SDL bug, so you should maybe report it on
> > libsdl.org, too. Can you determine a pattern when it stays enabled?
> > E.g. does it make a difference whether the host mouse pointer was
> > in the Hatari window before you changed to fullscreen or not?
> >
> > Another thing to try: When you enable the SDL GUI in fullscreen
> > (F12) and leave it again, is the host mouse pointer gone?
[...]
> I should have tried entering the SDL GUI. Yes, the host mouse pointer
> disappears if I press F12 and simply click Ok.

Sounds like we could maybe add a workaround for this one to Hatari -
simply toggle the mouse pointer mode once we're in fullscreen.
However, I think somebody should also try the "official" way of asking
on the libsdl.org mailing list first.

> > So is Hatari running smoother/faster with SDL2 on OS X or is still
> > SDL1 the better choice?
>
> If I simply wanted to pick up a game and use Hatari, SDL1 is the
> better choice currently. However, the SDL project has made it clear
> that SDL 1’s days are numbered. Therefore, I really want to get
> Hatari working correctly in SDL2. In addition, there are many bug
> fixes in SDL2. For instance, I can minimize and restore Hatari’s
> window without the colors getting all messed up.

Right, sooner or later SDL2 is certainly the way to go. I rather
wondered whether we should do the next release on OS X with SDL2
already or whether it is better to stay with SDL1 for a while.