Re: [hatari-devel] New stream by Cybernetics - write floppy disk issue

Le 15/08/2014 19:04, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
Hi,

On perjantai 15 elokuu 2014, Konador, Cyprian wrote:
That demo contains WRITER.PRG, which fails when it tries to write
NEWSTREM.IMG file onto floppy disk.
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=14458

I'm not sure but maybe this issue is caused by mentioned by you lack of
FDC type III command "write track" support.

Yes, as Hatari says:
FDC type III command 'write track' is not supported with ST/MSA files

Use STX image file instead.

Write track is not supported. Strange idea to distribute the demo this way, this IMG format looks like a .ST file (dump of all sectors) but with a small 8 byte header (839688 instead of 839680 bytes for a 82 tracks, 10 sectors floppy)

As to writing tracks to ST image...  Disk image geometry obviously
needs to match what the writer is trying/going to put put to the disk
(so that it doesn't try to overwrite past image size), but if
that is true, I think Hatari could just extract sector contents
from track data and write them to places that would correspond
to the them with current disk geometry.

I already thought about this, but in the end, this will rarely work ; program using write track have often good reason to do so, just keeping the sector data will often not be enough (it would only work when write track is used to format the track and some write sectors will be sent after)

All in all, I think I might add some kind of MFM disk support one day, to store the raw data as the WD1772 would use it.