Re: [hatari-devel] SDL2 support

On sunnuntai 03 elokuu 2014, Thomas Huth wrote:
> SDL1 support will certainly stay for quite a while. The differences to
> SDL2 are not that big, so the effort of maintaining both parts should
> not be that big either. Then Hatari's SDL2 support is not 100% proper
> yet, and SDL2 is still quite new and might not be available everywhere
> yet,

- Latest Ubuntu LTS 14.04 supports SDL2 (since 13.10).
- Latest Debian Stable doesn't support SDL2, Testing does.
- OpenSUSE seems to have supported SDL2 since 12.2.
- Fedora supported SDL2 at least since v19.
- Arch supports SDL2.

It's also available for Windows, but based on comments on this
thread OSX may have issues still.

> so I think it would be good to keep SDL1 support for at least 2+
> more years. But we'll see...

Next Debian stable should come out next year and OSX issues should
be handled by that time too, so a year could be enough.

Dropping support for SDL1 would allow dropping quite a bit of
code for handling resolutions & scaling̣.  Removing the code
for fine-grained checking of whether emulated code has updated
the screen would also simplify things.

> maybe Hatari 2.x will be available for SDL2 only ;-) ?

Nice idea!