Re: [hatari-devel] Formatting floppies with TOS in Hatari, should it work?

Le 22/07/2014 10:06, Thomas Huth a écrit :
Am Mon, 21 Jul 2014 12:15:59 +0300

Regarding this:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26740&p=255632

Hatari v1.6.2 says this when TOS tries to format a floppy:
	FDC type III command 'write track' does not work yet!

Whereas latest Hatari version doesn't output anything, but TOS
still tells that formatting the floppy failed [1].  Is that supposed
to work, and if not, could there be some warning about specific
missing functionality?

You get the error message when you enable fdc tracing (but maybe this
should be a LOG_ERROR or LAG_WARN instead?).
Looking at FDC_WriteTrack_ST() in fdc.c, it seems like this is
currently supposed to always fail... not sure whether Nicolas plans to
implement this before the release, but if not, I think it rather should
not return an error to TOS so that formatting works again?

Hi

I'm not sure formatting really "worked" before, it's just that before that I returned "RNF" error, which is not tested by TOS, whereas "LOST DATA" seems to be tested.

This is not supposed to change for 1.8 release, handling write track to a ST or MSA file has no real sense, as you can't store a whole raw track in ST or MSA file. There's no point either in trying to format a ST or MSA file, you create it with the UI, but you can't format it from TOS. If TOS now detects an error in that case, this seems better to me, at least the user will know that his data were not written.

I could add later support for saving the result of "write track" in ST files to an external .wd1772 file (like for STX), but I'm not sure it will be of any use, most games will only use "write sector" when they want to save data.

For now, I put back the same Log_Printf as in Hatari 1.7, so you get a message even when traces are off.