Re: [hatari-devel] SDL2 port (was: OS X performance problem)

On keskiviikko 04 kesäkuu 2014, Andreas Grabher wrote:
> Thomas and Eero, thank you for the hints.
>
> Unfortunately i already tried to do it with the guides but didn't get
> very far. My SDL skills are zero at the moment. So it would certainly
> need quite a lot of learning first. I have hoped that someone with SDL
> experiences could do it.

My point was that SDL2 port requires a lot of changes.
Personally I wouldn't want to support both SDL2 and SDL1.

If Hatari supports only SDL2, that should be done only
when distros in general have SDL2 available.

Distros are supporting SDL2 starting from:
- Debian: testing/unstable, only as backport for stable
- Ubuntu (universe): since 13.10
- OpenSuse: since 13.1
- Fedora: since F19
- Mageia: Since 4
- OpenMandrive: since LX 2013.0
- Slackware: 14.1
- CentOS/RHEL: Not available

So, it seems that most distros already have SDL2
available, but in Debian stable it's in backports,
which repo isn't enabled by default, and it's missing
on CentOS/RHEL.

Comments, is this a problem?

Anyway, SDL2 port cannot go into v1.8 release,
it's way too large change for that. And personally
I'd rather concentrate on making sure release works
fine before looking into large refactorings (whether
it's done in separate branch or tip).

	- Eero