Re: [hatari-devel] Falcon speed

On torstai 08 toukokuu 2014, Thomas Bergstrom wrote:
> The measurement is CPU Load of the 68030. CPU usage per game frame.

Ah, OK, I got confused by references to Windows and different laptops.  :-)
Those are external factors and don't affect the CPU emulation.

> I just found it strange that my and Laurent's experiences was so
> different. In Laurent's case, Hatari is always faster than a Falcon but
> in my case it is 30% slower when enabling Cycle Exact and Prefetch mode

How do you measure the CPU consumption on 030?

And is DSP running?

(You could check whether you see same difference with "--dsp none")

> which makes it a bit hard to know how much work can be put on the CPU
> and still keep the frame rate on a real Falcon.

Have you used Hatari profiler?  That shows how many emulated
cycles Hatari spends on each instruction in your code:
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-
file/tip/doc/manual.html#Profiling

If you see in that output something suspicious, it would be
great if you could provide a more isolated use-case demonstrating that.

	- Eero