[hatari-devel] Re: [Emutos-devel] floppy issue

On lauantai 08 helmikuu 2014, Roger Burrows wrote:
> On 7 Feb 2014 at 18:23, David Savinkoff wrote:
> > I found that I cannot write files to Floppy Disk in Hatari when
> > using EmuTOS

David, what is the test program you're running on top of Hatari,
or did you use just EmuCON?

> > (file has the name, but is 0 length).

I just tried creating a file to floppy image which worked
fine ("mkdir test2"), however, removing that didn't work,
EmuTOS shell said that it got error -12.  Both creating
a file AND removing it succeeded though, although both
showed also error -12. [1]

Creating dir & removing it, worked as expected under Hatari's
GEMDOS HD emulation, both when write protection was enabled
and when it was disabled.

[1] According to:
http://toshyp.atari.org/en/003006.html

12 = General error.  EmuTOS seems to generate this when
floppy format is unknown or DMA fails.  Is there anything
peculiar in how EmuTOS does DMA?  Are e.g. the DMA buffers
valid?

> > Is this a
> > known problem with Hatari or EmuTOS or a new can o' worms?
> > (I came across DOS errors 12 or 13 and 6 and maybe 3)

13 = device is write protected.  This comes in EmuTOS when
FDC_CS register has FDC_WRI_PRO bit set.

Hatari has some write protection support, depending on Hatari
configuration it can be on, off, or based on whether disk image
is write protected.  However, I thought it's not implemented
for floppy images...

6 = seek error.  Could happen e.g. is there's some problem in
interpreting FAT, e.g. it's corrupted. [2]

3 = Unknown command.  EmuTOS has define for this, but that define
doesn't seem to be used anywhere.  Sounds like EmuTOS bug?

> Not known to me, but then I've never tried before.  I confirm that it
> doesn't work on a recent Hatari 1.7.x version.  But it does work on
> Hatari 1.6.1 and it works on real hardware, so maybe you should raise
> the issue on the Hatari list.

Did you use *exactly* the same floppy (image) contents
for Hatari 1.7.x and real HW testing? [2]

	- Eero

[2] I reported earlier several problems with EmuTOS when reading
specific floppies, that normal TOS read just fine.  See the december
mails on subject:
	"EmuTOS problems with programs run from floppy images"