Re: [hatari-devel] aspect ratio problems

Just to inform....

"--aspect off" did solve my problem - thanks.

IMO setting the aspect ratio based on resolution is probably ok for ST, TT etc. where the video modes have known/fixed configurations with only a few variations for borders etc. but isn't reliable on the Falcon.

The Videl allows pixel size and resolution to be programmed independently - so while this works most of the time (most programs use the full screen area), it can go wrong for programs which deviate from this - widescreen effects etc. esp. if the scanning area is moved dynamically (for example a fade/wipe which changes the line count would cause Hatari to flip ratios several times).

However I have a workaround so I'm ok with that :)

D.

On 8 August 2013 23:34, Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On perjantai 09 elokuu 2013, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> On torstai 08 elokuu 2013, Douglas Little wrote:
> If I remember right it's not based on pixel shape, but resolution,
> Hatari scales the resolution so that ratio between X & Y keeps
> between 1:2 and 2:1.
>
> > This gets progressively worse as the window is made smaller, until the
> > image is very tall and thin (it should be square).
> >
> > Is there any way to prevent this behaviour through the config file?
>
> Try "--aspect off".

To debug this, you can add some prints to:
         src/falcon/hostscreen.c::HostScreen_setWindowSize()

To see what sized screen is requested by Falcon registers and to
what size it's scaled.

You can also try "--trace videl" to see what register values
are set to Videl, and enable extra debugging from src/resolution.c.