Re: Re: [hatari-devel] Overscan Oddity

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013, David Savinkoff wrote:

I didn't have time to look at this at the moment, but I keep it marked
for later.

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

I'm hoping this problem is fixed for the next release. I'm not familiar
enough with this part of Hatari to make code changes (I had a look).

It appears to me that 400x300 could be a perfect resolution for
low-res recording (aside: and 48000 Hz sample rate) as this would
capture everything at it's best (with good performance too).

Hi,

The two overscan methods, 230 byte (common ST overscans) and the 224 byte (STe only, as used in Save the earth) differ a bit in the screen layout.

The shifter outputs 416 pixels width, but the actual usable pixels is lower.

230 byte ST overscan:
--------------------#
--------------------#
--------------------#
--------------------#
--------------------#
The rightmost 6-8 pixels (#) are a mess due to an extra stabilizer frequency switch. That reduces the usable width to about 408-410 pixels.

224 byte STe overscan:
%--------------------
%--------------------
No stabilizer needed here, so the graphics is looking correct all the way to the right. However, the entire screen is shifted 8 pixels to the right, so there is an 8-pixel empty space at the left.

A default cropping to the center 400 pixels is probably a good thing for general use. Saint does it that way for example. But it's no good if you want the full display captured, so I'd say keep the full 416 pixel capture as well. Heck 512 pixel capture (and display) would be very cool too (great for plasma coding :).

As for audio frequency, 50066 Hz is better than 48000 as you get the STe audio 1:1 without scaling that way. Dito for Falcon but with 49170 Hz instead.

For recording perfomance, the PNG saving would be wonderful to spread out on multithreading. PNG saving is by far the most costly during recording and all cores except one are idle.

--
Anders Eriksson
ae@xxxxxx     http://www.dhs.nu/