Re: [hatari-devel] How many colors when rendering in Hatari ?

Am Tue, 16 Apr 2013 17:52:57 +0200
schrieb Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello
>
> after Hatari 1.7 is released, I'm planning to work on some rare video
> behaviour emulation in STF/STE mode.
>
> This will require a lot of changes and will impact the video -> sdl
> pass that convert the internal ST bitplanes into an SDL surface.
>
> Today, this conversion can convert the ST video to 8 bpp, 16 bpp or
> 24 bpp in the SDL space. This means 3 code paths to maintain, with a
> common logic in each, but really different code in the end,
> especially when you consider options to double X and/or Y (see all
> the files in src/convert/, it's really hard to follow).
>
> So, the question is : do we need to keep 8 bpp and 16 bpp mode ?

I think you can safely remove the functions for converting 8 bpp ST
color resolution modes (i.e. low320x8.c, low640x8.c and med640x8.c).
I am not aware of any devices that still use 8-bit palette modes
nowadays.
But concerning the 16 bpp functions, I am not sure ... there still
might be some embedded devices around that rather use 16 bpp instead of
24 or 32 bpp.

> I think most computers running Hatari are capable of 24 bpp ; for
> those that can't handle it, maybe there's an option in SDL to convert
> an internal 24 bpp surface to 8 bpp or 16 bpp.

As far as I know, SDL can convert the screens, ... but it still might
be quite a bit faster to keep the 16 bpp mode for old or embedded
devices.