[hatari-devel] GEMDOS file buffer flush problem?

I noticed something strange happening while trying to export listing files from Devpac3 for use with the Hatari debugger & profiler.

The problem isn't with the debugger/profiler but some odd interaction between Devpac3, Hatari and the GEMDOS HD share with the host PC (in my case, WinXP).

When the listing file is large, it is not always completely written to the disk when Devpac3 has finished assembling. The file reaches a (very round-looking) size of 1536kb and is truncated. I can make a backup copy of this file, and exit Devpac3, and the file remains at the same truncated size.

When I then exit Hatari, the file commits fully to 1544k and is no longer truncated.

Apart from being quite annoying (it means I have to keep restarting Hatari each time I want to generate a symbol file) it's also a little scary - what else might not be getting fully committed to the GEMDOS share during a Hatari session?

TBH I don't know if this is a Devpac bug or a Hatari problem - but I imagine it could be a bit of both. If the file only flushes properly when Hatari exits, there must be either pending writes (Hatari) or a pending file closure (Devpac). In any case it would seem there is a difference in behaviour between Hatari and a real Falcon for this situation so it may be worth investigating.

D.