Re: [hatari-devel] Mouse scaling fix + ST_LOW_RES video boost

On sunnuntai 10 helmikuu 2013, David Savinkoff wrote:
> This patch contains the Hextracker Mouse fix

Hextracker mouse issue is a bug in Hextracker.  It's Hextracker
that doesn't scale mouse events properly, not Hatari.  See the
"Mouse movements limited in Hextracker" mail thread in 2011.

On real ST you don't see Hextracker's Hatari windowed mode issue
because real ST has always "mouse grab".

I think your "fix" is a mouse slowdown for medium resolution, it
makes mouse slower than on real ST.  Making Hatari work less like
real HW is not acceptable.

(After grepping Hatari sources, it might also break TT ST-medrez
screen scaling.)

-> You should complain to Paolo so that he fixes the mouse
   even handler in Hextracker to scale the mouse events
   correctly.

> AND A selectable ST Low Res performance enhancement.
>
> De-Selecting "Keep Desktop Resolution" enables the enhancement
> (the Atari or SDL must also be reset OR toggled Fullscreen/Desktop).
>
> Note that "Keep Destop Resolution" says Falcon/TT only,
> this enhancement is for ST_LOW_RES only.

There's "Keep host destop resolution" option also for ST.  It's not
visible in the SDL GUI, but it's in the PyGtk GUI, command line
and in configuration file.

> This enhancement makes ST Low Resolution look better in TV quality

How/why?

> and gives better perfomance in VGA and RGB quality.
> Low speed computers really benefit from this. Please consider.

What your patch does is disable zooming for ST, unless TT/Falcon
"Keep Destop Resolution" option is disabled.  Re-using TT/Falcon
option for ST is inappropriate, and one can already disable
zooming in Hatari with "--zoom 1".