Re: [hatari-devel] Re: dsp profiler mods

On keskiviikko 20 helmikuu 2013, Douglas Little wrote:
> For what it's worth, here's a screenshot of the Excel sheet I was using
> while studying the DSP profiler output and making decisions. This isn't
> particularly relevant to Hatari profiler development directly, but I
> thought it might be interesting to see how this thing is being used.
>
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12947585/dspanalysis.jpg
>
> A memory map of the DSP cycle times overlaid with EXT memory penalty
> component in the top graph, and a memory map of log(time) data at the
> bottom showing the relative cost of each address. This kind of view helps
> identify areas of interest esp. when looking for correlations either with
> block regions or EXT: penalties. Cell range conditional formatting
> (colour gradient) used to help identify peak values in each column by
> eye. I use the 'external data reference' mode to auto-update the sheet
> as the exported DSP data changes.

Wow, looks great!

> *BTW it would be nice to have the profilers overwrite old files when
> exporting addresses - currently you get a 'file already exists' error
> which isn't very helpful when you're refreshing the same file several
> times per session.*

With file name TAB-completion, and too quick <Return> press one might
accidentally overwrite some other important file, not just old profile
file.

But I removed that check now (after noticing that "savebin" debugger
command doesn't prevent file overwrites either. :-))

	- Eero

PS. Typically I re-run Hatari for the profiling with breakpoints set up
to automatically collect the information as my use-cases are a bit simpler.
When I want to get a new version of the same data, I just invoke Hatari
with a shell script that first renames the old profile data file to *.bak,
so overwrite protection wasn't a problem for me.