[hatari-devel] Re: dsp profiler mods

For what it's worth, here's a screenshot of the Excel sheet I was using while studying the DSP profiler output and making decisions. This isn't particularly relevant to Hatari profiler development directly, but I thought it might be interesting to see how this thing is being used.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12947585/dspanalysis.jpg

A memory map of the DSP cycle times overlaid with EXT memory penalty component in the top graph, and a memory map of log(time) data at the bottom showing the relative cost of each address. This kind of view helps identify areas of interest esp. when looking for correlations either with block regions or EXT: penalties. Cell range conditional formatting (colour gradient) used to help identify peak values in each column by eye. I use the 'external data reference' mode to auto-update the sheet as the exported DSP data changes.

BTW it would be nice to have the profilers overwrite old files when exporting addresses - currently you get a 'file already exists' error which isn't very helpful when you're refreshing the same file several times per session.

D.