Re: [hatari-devel] One bug, one warning, one :)

On maanantai 12 marraskuu 2012, David Savinkoff wrote:
> On Monday 12 November 2012 11:25, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
> > On 12/11/2012 08:19, David Savinkoff wrote:
> I always get a few warnings with hatari, I didn't want to add a new one..
>
> [ 16%] Building C object src/falcon/CMakeFiles/Falcon.dir/dsp.c.o
> hatari.4137/src/falcon/dsp.c: In function ‘DSP_GetRegisterAddress’:
> hatari.4137/src/falcon/dsp.c:479: warning: dereferencing type-punned
> pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

This is pointing Uint32* to Uint16 (DSP PC), but it also returns
information that it is 16-bit variable.

I added checks for the bit-size to couple of missing places, so accessing
it should be OK.  I'm not sure whether type punning will be a problem for
GCC optimizations within that function though (and I wouldn't want to add
enum in to that place).

> hatari.4137/src/falcon/dsp_cpu.c: In function ‘dsp_pm_4’:
> hatari.4137/src/falcon/dsp_cpu.c:3674: warning: ‘save_ly’ may be used
uninitialized in this function
> hatari.4137/src/falcon/dsp_cpu.c:3674: warning: ‘save_lx’ may be used
uninitialized in this function

Which GCC version you have?  Some GCC versions were giving warnings
in too early phase, before their optimization passes had deduced that
actually those code paths cannot happen (there's e.g. "if" in code to
prevent bad accesses etc).  It was fixed in later GCC versions by
(correctly) checking things only after all optimization passes had
been done.

(I think Vincent has given pointer to one of these bugs in GCC bugzilla)

> > > 2)
> > > Hextracker has a new mouse problem.
> > > Steps to reproduce:
> > > - run Hextracker
> > > - select LOAD MOD with mouse.
> > > - note that the mouse freezes in the new window.
> > > - note that the mouse pointer can only be moved
> > >    with alt+arrow keys.
> > >
> > > - note that the mouse works once you exit the new
> > >    window (but freezes again when you exit Hextracker).
> > >
> > > This is a new problem.

Do you have the same problem also in fullscreen mode?

FYI: Hextracker doesn't count relative mouse movements correctly,
it moves its pointer only half of what it should, so in windowed
mode it's a bit annoying to use unless you take mouse grab.

IMHO fullscreen mode is most convenient way to grab mouse. :-)

(There's also another program with this problem, but I don't
remember its name.  You don't notice this so easily with other
emulators because many of them grab mouse automatically when
user clicks to program window.)

> > It still works for me in STF mode, tos 1.04 and hextracker 0.837.
> >
> > Can you tell what version / tos / ... you're using ?
>
> I'm having problems with TOS206uk,  TOS206us and
> emutos256us-cvs-2012-08-13 with the latest Hatari.

All work fine for me.

> Hatari 1.6.0, STE and STF works fine with these ROMs.
> Latest Hatari reliably fails in all cases, as mentioned above.
>
> I've only ever used hextracker 0.837 and these ROMs.
> I have never tried tos 1.04.
> I'm using Emulated Gemdos drive G.

What you're using for drives C-F?

	- EEro