Re: [hatari-devel] Linear mixing Bug

On 30/05/2012 21:43, David Savinkoff wrote:
Hi,

I found two messages;
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/hatari-users/2012q1/000031.html
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/hatari-devel/2012q1/000590.html
Reprinted below.

The solution to the problem is to NOT use Linear mixing:
Hatari>  Sound>  Linear
USE:
Hatari>  Sound>  Table

I'm proposing to eliminate the erroneous 'Linear' mixing option,
as this would be an improvement.

Sincerely,
David

Hello

Hatari defaults to "Table" if starting with no config, so it should be good for most users who want a safe setting.

As for the linear method, I know it's not faithful to how a real ST mixes the 3 voices, but I'd like to keep it as a way for the user to "play" with different settings (in the same sense that some music players support some bass/trebble adjustements, even if it changes the original sound).

I agree it might not sound nice when mixed with dma sound for example, but having several audio filters could be an option to artificially "enhance" the sound experience (even if only one of them is considered to be the "official" filter).